Sri Lanka, the tropical island nation known for its lush tea gardens, picturesque beaches, and serene hillside escapes, is a popular destination for Indian travellers. Whether you’re planning a honeymoon, family vacation, or solo backpacking trip, a Sri Lanka visa is required to enter the country. The visa is a document that grants permission for you to stay in Sri Lanka and experience all it has to offer, from its stunning natural beauty to its exciting water activities.
Before planning your trip, it is essential to understand the process for obtaining a Sri Lanka visa online, gather the necessary documents for the application, and also remember to buy travel insurance to secure your trip financially. The travel policy protects you against unexpected events such as trip cancellation, medical emergencies, and lost or stolen luggage. So, it’s wise to have travel insurance in India before planning your trip to Sri Lanka. Also, if you are travelling with your family, get family travel insurance that will help you save some costs.
Guidelines to Apply for a Sri Lanka Visa for Indian citizens
To obtain a visa for an Indian citizen to visit Sri Lanka –
Indian citizens should note that they have the advantage of being able to apply for a visa on arrival using Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA).
What is Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA)?
An e-Visa, also known as an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA), is a form of an electronic visa. For example, the Sri Lanka e-Visa for Indian citizens is a short-term visa issued for tourism, transit, or business. It is also called a Visit Visa and acts as a permit from the Sri Lankan government for a foreign national to enter the country for a specific time and under certain conditions.
- Before your trip, you must ensure that your passport is valid for six months, at least from your scheduled travel date.
- The ETA application process can be done online through an OTA by submitting a basic form, uploading necessary documents, and paying the visa fee.
- It takes around three days to process the ETA; also, it will be forwarded electronically to your email address.
- It is mandatory to print out the ETA and present it to immigration officers upon arrival.
- Consider buying travel insurance to cover any medical emergencies and other unexpected events such as the loss of a passport, flight delay, baggage loss, etc.
[Note– Processing a Sri Lanka e-Visa after submitting the forms online takes about three days. This can be done through the Sri Lankan high commission or a travel agent. The Sri Lanka eVisa for Indian citizens, also known as an ETA, allows a stay in Sri Lanka of up to 30 days. For Indian citizens, the cost of a tourist e-Visa is ₹2200. If the e-Visa is for business purposes, the fee is ₹2850, which includes the visa fee and agent commission.]
Types of Visa for an Indian citizen to visit Sri Lanka
When applying for a Sri Lanka e-Visa online, it is crucial to know the different short-term visa types available. These include:
- Sri Lanka Tourist Visa:
This visa is issued to individuals whose primary purpose is tourism. The type of visa issue is a double-entry visa. It can be used for sightseeing, visiting friends and relatives, seeking medical treatment, and participating in sports events or cultural performances.
- Sri Lanka Business Visa:
This visa is granted to foreign nationals who will be visiting Sri Lanka for a short period to conduct business. This type of visa can be a single-entry, double-entry, or multiple-entry visa. The visa allows you to participate in business meetings, conferences, seminars, short-term training programs, art, music, or dance-related events, symposiums, and religious events.
- Sri Lanka Transit Visa:
This visa is issued to foreign nationals transiting through Sri Lanka. It is valid for up to 2 days.
Steps to apply for a Sri Lanka e-Visa online:
- Go to an online travel agent (OTA) website and select the type of visa you need (transit, business, or tourist)
- Download the visa form and fill out your personal and demographic information
- Upload scanned copies of the required documents to the OTA’s portal
- Wait for the OTA to verify the accuracy of your records and inform you if any additional documents are needed
- Once all necessary documents are submitted, the OTA will apply to the Sri Lankan high commission
- Wait for approval, which will be sent to your registered email within three working days
- The ETA replaces the need for a traditional Sri Lanka stamp visa and allows for a stay of up to 30 days
- Make sure to apply for the visa at least three months before your trip to Sri Lanka.
[Note: This e-Visa is issued by the Department of Immigration & Emigration, Colombo, in Sri Lanka, to travellers visiting Sri Lanka for business, tourism or transit.]
A Sri Lanka visa is required for entry into the country and can be obtained online through an OTA. The visa, also known as an ETA, allows a stay of up to 30 days for tourism, business, or transit purposes. Additionally, it is crucial to know the different types of visas available and to apply for the appropriate one. By following these guidelines, Indian citizens can smoothly and efficiently obtain a Sri Lankan visa and enjoy all these beautiful country offers.